In this exclusive interview published by  IQ4News, a teenage girl, Meenah [Not  real name for security reasons] who  was abducted by Boko Haram for 27  months tells her story.   Meenah, who escaped when the  Nigerian army attacked a Boko Haram  camp early this year, was just 17 years  old when she was forced to watch her  parents being shot dead by the Boko  Haram insurgents in her village in  Konduga town, northern Nigeria. She  escaped after 27 months with a baby  she claims may belong to the Boko  Haram leader Abubakar Shekau.  


While in captivity, she had to care for  children born to Boko Haram  commanders and members, and would  tremble in fear as she heard girls  scream as they were raped, and in  some cases watch how girls were  tortured for refusing to change their  faith.   She described how on occasions some  top leaders of Boko Haram would come,  and she was asked to entertain them.  It was on such visits she insists that  Abubakar Shekau, Nigeria’s most  wanted man, and Boko Haram leader,  slept with her.   “He would just appear from  nowhere like a ghost,” she  narrated.   "He seems to be panicking all the  time and issuing instructions. 

 “He is a softly spoken man – it is  almost as if he whispers, if you are  meeting him for the first time, you  would never be scared of him.  

“But I soon learned that after every  whisper something dangerous  would happen somewhere in  Nigeria.  

“Depending on the camp, some of  the camps have everything,  electricity, water and television,  with different kind of electronics.  

“He once asked me if I was willing to  fight for the cause, to which I  answered no, he told me I could be a  fighter and a domestic slave.  

"I didn’t want to speak to him in  case what I said offended him.  

"All it would take was one wrong  word and he would have had me  killed. I thought he was drinking or  taking something whenever he  came, one could notice maybe he  lost men or something was not  right.  

“We moved a lot and depending on  the camp, my role varied, it was so  tough travelling around with a baby  strapped to my back.   "Abu has many kids from many  different women.  

“Some of us women would go to  Maiduguri to buy things when we  have shortage, and a commander or  two would follow us, and we acted  as decoy when villages are  ambushed.   "I’d be sent in to talk to people,  then they’d move in behind me and  start killing.”  

“Some of us girls would also have to  carry guns, and often bombs too,  there was this girl, she was forced  to carry a rocket-propelled  grenade launcher on her shoulder,  then we had few men in that  particular camp."   Meenah managed to escape when she  was badly wounded by a bullet, after  the Nigerian army attacked their camp.  She was left for dead.  

The bullet in her leg was only recently  removed at the University of Maiduguri  Teaching Hospital in Borno State.   She has an uncle as a sole surviving  relative, and it has not been easy as  her uncle has not receive her warmly. 

 “My uncle will not have me because he  is ashamed of my child whose paternity  is not only questionable but is  dangerous if it is Shekau,” she says.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top